Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Greatest moments in rock and roll, part 2

The Smiths - "The Queen Is Dead" (0:00 to 0:46)
"Take me back to dear old Blighty,
Put me on the train for London Town,
Take me anywhere,
Drop me anywhere,
Liverpool, Leeds or Birmingham
But I don't care,
I should like to see my ..."

I don't bless them
Farewell to this land's cheerless marshes
Hemmed in like a boar between arches...
Quite possibly the most exciting, certainly the most wickedly creative, introduction to a rock song, ever. The real innovation is the processed "I don't bless them" spilling into the airy, sustained fade in of "farewell", which overlaps onto the rest of the line: "to this land's cheerless marshes...", which is finally in clear, unprocessed vocals.

The Tonics might try something like that to spice up the beginning of "Hamlet."

No comments: