Monday, August 01, 2005

An exclusive interview with Alan Lawrence

NP: I AM NEON PHOSPHOR.

AL: Yes, you are!

NP: HOW DID YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE TONICS START, AND WHAT WAS THE FIRST TONICS/SCULPTED STATIC SONG YOU HEARD?

AL: It was some years ago, I only vaguely remember...but it must have been Mad Men, which I enjoyed very much. But the ones that leapt out at me at the time were Marbles and, most especially, Star Ferry. I must have listened to Star Ferry a hundred times a day back then, everywhere I drove. It was the combination of the wacky, lovelorn lyrics and the effervescent melody, it made the song feel as if it were coming from high in the air, and never exactly alighting on the ground.

NP. WHAT'S THE MOST INTERESTING THING THAT HAPPENED DURING A VIDEO SHOOT WITH THE TONICS?

AL: I think the most interesting moment came from the Distance music video, when I sent the Tonics (then Sculpted Static) running out on a bluff with the vague instructions to just "goof around." We chased after them with the camera, and quite alarmingly each band member in turn made for the cliff-edge of the bluff and leapt straight off. They were like lemmings, running on some kind of non-verbal communication or instinctual programming, except they were all very into it. I was terrified. Luckily, it wasn't that far down to the next cliff, and they all survived.

Also, I would say that the filming of the Apart video was altogether one of my most enjoyable filming experiences. The band members were so spontaneous that everything we filmed just worked. There's a real spontaneous inspiration to that video, and it's thanks to the rapport we all had that day. You can watch that one again and again, and it doesn't really get old.

NP: WHAT ARE YOUR CURRENT PROJECTS AND HOW ARE THE TONICS' MUSIC GOING TO BE USED?

AL: Current projects include a feature-length experimental narrative film called Graceful Accident. It's a fractured piece of manipulated, semi-archival film about the fractured, semi-archival nature of romantic relationships in a contemporary city. It's due to be finished in August, with a premiere in September, most likely. The Tonics/Sculpted Static will have a number of songs in the movie, and the band will be recording some further music to accompany the various scenes. The feel will be pretty grungy and rebellious, but with a kind of romantic side as well.

Then there is a short film about ghostly love from beyond the grave. Sexy, pastoral, and fun, it'll finally give people what they want: a story to follow. I'm not sure what The Tonics are doing for it right now. Arta and I talked about music for it, but the direction I'm looking for in the music is pretty out-there. I'm sure the Tonics can handle it, I'll just be interested to see what comes up, 'cus at the moment I can't imagine what they'll do. But that's the best kind of collaboration, anyway.

NP: THANK YOU.

AL: Well, thank you, too, mystery person!

No comments: