Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Great moments in rock and roll: B&S lyrics

It is an unofficial policy of this band and this blog to stay away from Belle & Sebastian because they are twee, despite being the industry leader in the area of indie pop. Today we make a lyrical exception to this rule by spotlighting the brilliantly constructed verse from Belle & Sebastian's "I Love My Car," available on the Push Barman To Open Old Wounds compilation album, or if you work for--I mean contribute to--Pitchfork, the I'm Waking Up To Us EP. The verse occurs at 2:15 into the song.

"I love my Carl/ I love my Brian my Dennis and my Al/ I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love"

This verse is brilliant for several reasons: 1) It is a play on the regular lyrical hook "I love my car." 2) It incorporates the names of all five original Beach Boys. 3) The last line hints at the popular perception that Mike Love is the "villain" who hindered Brian Wilson's artistic progress.

No comments: